Resident Artists FAQ's
VISARTS RESIDENT ARTIST PROGRAM
- Resident artists pay an annual per square foot rate of $21.50 for the calendar year 2012. New applicants for studio space are eligible for up to four one year extensions for a maximum term of five years. All lease options must be mutually agreed to by both artist and VisArts.
- The studios that are currently available for rent lease for $336.83 per month. The square footage of each of these studios is approximately 188 square feet.
- Monthly studio rental includes utilities, common area cleaning and twenty-four hour access to studios. Each studio comes with a large utility sink. All resident artists juried in beginning in 2012 are required to give a security deposit of one months rent to cover any damages. This will be returned to them minus any charges for damage when they leave VisArts. Artists are required to return studios to VisArts in the same condition they were given upon signage of the first lease agreement.
- Artists are required to actively work in their studios thirty (30) hours per week creating art while also maintaining works of art on display for public viewing. At least 15 hours of the artist’s time in the studio must be during VisArts public hours. VisArts’ administrative office is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The galleries are open to the public Wednesdays through Friday from noon until 9 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from noon until 5 p.m. On rare occasions artists are asked to close their studios to accommodate a private rental. Resident artists are asked not to work in their studios during these events.
- Artists must attend resident artist meetings and actively promote their studio and VisArts at every opportunity. Resident artists must open their studios for all Kaplan Gallery exhibition opening receptions (approximately six per year).
- Artists are required to participate in two VisArts community events per year.
- Artists may give private art instruction in their studios. VisArts takes no commission from this activity.
- All artists are required to list all art materials and supplies used in their studios. For those supplies/materials that are considered hazardous, artists must submit a risk mitigation plan for the storage, use and disposal of these items.
- VisArts will take no commission from sales of work from the resident artist studios. Artists are responsible for all aspects of sales and related tax responsibilities for work sold in their studios.
- VisArts provides, at no cost to the artists, Internet access to each studio. Because of our limited bandwidth and the amount of internal usage, artists may have difficulty when attempting to stream videos or music. VisArts will provide an Ethernet connection to artists if they so desire.
- Artists are strongly encouraged to purchase insurance to cover their artwork and materials. VisArts does not cover property in artist studios.
- Artists are required to have the same insurance coverage that VisArts is required to carry under our lease with the City of Rockville. (One million dollars of general liability insurance covering bodily injury, property damage and personal injury insurance with VisArts named as an additional insured party.)